2 weeks pregnant: what can I expect?
During week two of your pregnancy you may not even be sure that you are pregnant. It’s still a few days before your ovulation in other words it’s the second week after your last period.
What exactly is ovulation?
Ovulation is when one of your two ovaries will release one or more eggs. This is the most fertile time of your monthly period. It’s impossible to predict which ovary will release the egg, as it’s pretty random. Every month 15 to 20 eggs mature inside your ovaries and the ripest egg is released into your pelvic cavity and pushed into the fallopian tube.
How can I tell when and how will I ovulate?
Ovulation usually takes place between 12 to 16 days before the start of your next period. For most women the average monthly cycle before they get their next period is 28 days. First day of your monthly period is considered day one of your monthly cycle. So ovulation would happen around day 14 or 15 of your monthly cycle. The length of a normal monthly period varies between 23 days and 35 days so ovulation can occur earlier or later in the cycle.
If you are planning to get pregnant, the simplest way is to monitor your monthly periods and find out the number of days your cycle lasts.
There are some subtle external changes that happen in your body that can tell you when you are ovulating.
- Studies have shown that changes in cervical mucus can help women predict their most fertile days. As your monthly cycle progresses your cervical mucus changes its texture and increases in volume. These changes indicate that the hormonal levels of oestrogen in your body are increasing and it’s close to ovulate.
- You may experience mild pain in the pelvic region which is known as mittelschermz. This may last from few minutes to a few hours. This pain can be a useful guide to you to know your fertile period.
- You may also develop a heightened sense of smell and taste during your fertile period. When you feel slight changes in your taste you can also check the condition of your cervical mucus to be certain.
- Increase in libido is another sign you are ovulating. If you are felling sexy and your mood has improved these are all signs that you are at your most fertile period.
- Today you have ovulation kits available in the pharmacy that can detect hormonal changes in your saliva or urine.
- An increase in basal temperature can also tell you when you are fertile. When you are ovulating your temperature raises by a couple of degrees from your baseline.
What is fertilization?
The process of fertilization is from where it all begins. This is how your baby is conceived. Around the third week of your pregnancy your egg is fertilized by your partner’s single sperm. This single cell is called zygote and it’s important that this zygote travels down to your uterus and multiplies.
The process of fertilization is complex and fascinating at the same time. After intercourse millions of sperm rush to fertilize the egg, but only one sperm is successful. When the egg is fertilized the remaining sperm give up and move away from the fallopian tube where they disintegrate.
Physical changes in you at week 2
Look for signs like increase in libido, increase in basal temperature and increase in cervical mucus to see if you have ovulated. As mentioned above ovulation usually takes around 13 to 15 days after the first day of your monthly period.
Emotional changes in you at week 2
Your mood will have improved this week. You will be happy and chirpy because of your increased libido. Overall you will be feeling attractive and pretty good about yourself.
How’s my baby doing?
Your baby will not have been conceived this week and it’s still a few days away from conception. The single cell you will release from your ovaries midway between your monthly cycles will have your baby’s genetic information.
Useful tips for this week
- Smoking can harm your baby’s health when it is conceived. Smoking and second hand smoke increases the chance of miscarriage and still births in pregnant women.
- Start taking your prenatal vitamins especially folic acid. Studies have shown folic acid is essential in forming the baby’s spine and will prevent spinal bifida.
- If you are planning to get pregnant plan a romantic dinner for your husband so that you can have some intimate time and get in the mood.